Date Posted: June 30, 2020
Application Deadline: July 31, 2020
Start Date: Aug 31, 2020 (negotiable)
Salary: Artistic Producer starting at 25K
Artistic Producing Team up to 55K
Employee Benefits: N/A
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Organization’s Focus: Socially conscious performing arts
Job’s focus: Creative/administrative
Job Type: Part-time
Career Level: Upper management
About Azimuth Theatre
Azimuth creates and presents theatre and performance that strives for excellence in: supporting local independent artists, building community and innovative relationships, asking questions and taking risks to diffuse boundaries, and expanding the terrain of what we think we know. We are committed to understanding and investigating the qualities of excellence in professional theatre, and to affect, and be affected by social change in a progressive way through the experience of theatre.
About the Position(s):
To provide artistic and strategic vision, and creative leadership for the Azimuth Theatre Company. The role requires but is not limited to the following: managing and overseeing the annual operational budget; fund development; grant writing; strategic planning; creating and supporting the development of new work; curating work with multiple communities; building relationships with artists; marketing and publicity; working closely with an active volunteer board; and ensuring safe processes and equitable practices for community engagement
The position(s) allow for a flexible work schedule and is open to visionary and directional changes to accommodate current and new programming and may be adjusted based on successful applicant’s experience and skill set.
The successful candidate(s) will also:
- have experience in a not for profit arts organization
- understand the diverse and changing community of Alberta and its performance community and will seek to build and respect relationships
- have excellent written and verbal communication skills and an understanding of the power and application of social media
- be passionate for performance that encourages social change, and a desire to ensure safe processes, equitable practices, and community engagement.
- be a creative thinker, problem solver, and implementer,
- be a professional and personable leader who can fuel vision and inspire creativity
- be a facilitator, a connector, an advocate, a relationship builder, ethical
- be collaborative, open minded and flexible
We recognize that the list of requirements/skills is sizable for one person to “expertly” embody and deliver. Azimuth is committed to providing transition support from the current leadership team as needed. Adjustments to hiring timelines, responsibilities, and transition time are possible. Please note:
- if a single person application is selected, Azimuth will work with them to hire a second person who possess the other skill sets needed to run the organization.
- if a team application is selected, Azimuth will work them the team to adjust timelines and responsibilities to support best transitional practices.
Azimuth Theatre is committed to inclusive hiring. We encourage applications from artists who self-identify as members of under-represented communities. Azimuth Theatre continuously evaluates our practice and policy as we endeavor to be a safe space that welcomes and fosters diversity. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices. If you require accommodations during any stage of the recruitment process, or if you have any questions about the position(s), please let us know.
Application package should include:
- a resume detailing your relevant work and community related experience
- a cover letter that outlines your area(s) of artistic practice, administrative experience, why you are interested in the position, and what background/skills/experience you would bring to it.
* We suggest that applicants speak to their own (or their team’s) strengths and experiences with the above identified tasks and skills, and to be candid about where they need assistance and support. Azimuth is committed to a supported and successful transition during this time of pandemic adaptation. Successful candidates will be able to articulate their vision and identify where they would like support.
Please submit your application package by July 31, 2020 in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com
If applying as a single applicant: please include the Job Title “Azimuth Artistic Producer Single Applicant” in the subject of your message.
If applying as dual applicants: please include the Job Title “Azimuth Artistic Producers Dual Application” in the subject of your message
Azimuth Theatre is a professional, not-for-profit supported by the City of Edmonton, the Edmonton Arts Council, the Alberta Foundation for the Arts, The Canada Council for the Arts, Government of Canada, Canadian Heritage, Edmonton Community Foundation, Charitable Reg. No. 132071036 RR0001.
Azimuth Theatre, (mail address) P.O. Box 2182, Station Main, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5J 2P4 t.780.454.0583, (office address) 11516 103 Street, Edmonton, Alberta
Website: azimuththeatre.com, Twitter: @azimuththeatre, Instagram: @azimuth_theatre, Facebook: @Azimuththeatre